Exact engages with Travel Management Company to improve efficiency and achieve cost savings.
Exact Mining provides specialist services to the mining industry. To service its clients, Exact Mining is required to move crew to and from home locations to mine sites across Australia using domestic and regional airlines.
Prior to engaging Concierge Business Travel, Exact Mining did not use a travel management company. All bookings had been made by site clerks directly with airlines (through the airline websites) and hotels had been booked direct by the Exact Mining staff.
As Exact Mining expanded its operations, managing its travel resulted in focussing less on the core business and too much on the growing travel program.
- Ability to monitor travel policy and report on its travel costs by project
- Transparency with regards to travel costs
- Improve processes and reduce time spent administering the travel program
- Save money through efficiencies, better negotiated rates and less wastage
- Exact Mining’s booking process was disjointed with a lack of authorisation making it difficult to contain costs.
- Travel spend was unknown as collating travel data via many various sources was difficult.
- On billing travel costs to customers was inefficient and was resulting in Exact Mining not rightly reclaiming travel costs by project.
- Transparency was the key to saving money. Opportunities for cost savings were evident once all bookings started to be captured for Concierge Business Travel‘s data analysis.
- Implement approval process via Concierge Business Travel
- Implement monthly reporting dashboard
- Review airline expenditure to try and establish better deals
- Monitor and refine travel policy as Exact Mining expanded and travel requirements grew.
- Concierge Business Travel, in consultation with Exact Mining implemented a new and improved Travel Booking Form and authorisation process with key policy elements being monitored by Concierge Business Travel.
- Leakage of bookings directly to supplier has diminished and all travel data is being captured by Concierge Business Travel. Exact Mining receive a monthly report of travel costs, broken down by project code, ensuring all costs are correctly on charged to customer.
- Cheapest fare taken increased from 67% to 91% of time
- Average ticket price decreased from $389 per ticket to $349 (10% decrease)
- Better management of unused tickets has reduced wastage by over $20,000 annually.
- A switch to invoicing versus purchase on credit card has seen a saving of over $30,000 in credit card merchant fees alone!